Friday, January 28, 2011

Back to Hamilton!

Log Cabin Chevron - group 2 takes place with the Hamilton Quilters Guild tomorrow so I'll be heading to John and Anita's of www.cottonmillthreadworks.com for the night once again.  Anita was working on a really lovely scrappy 4-patch quilt last week so I'm excited to see how it looks quilted with the new King Tut thread.
Last week John gave me some sweet potato flour to experiment with.  This flour is gluten-free.    I experimented last week by making a pineapple carrot cake replacing the wheat flour in the recipe with  sweet potato flour and dark teff flour with xanthan gum.  The resulting cake was moist but too sweet.  I didn't take into consideration the sweetness of the sweet potato flour so I think I would cut the sugar amount in half next time.  I'll put the recipe as I would use it next time on my recipes page.
I managed to get the machine quilting and binding finished on the Simple Squares quilt.  As I said in an earlier post, I just made this design up but I'm sure there's lots of variations out there.  This one would fit a twin bed.  The fabrics are mostly Kaffe Fassett fabrics using the shot cottons for the narrow bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment