Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cooking and Packing

Tuesday night I attended the first meeting of the London Modern Quilt Guild held in downtown London.  There were 14 of us there, I think.  It was a planning meeting to get the guild started.  We discussed meeting times etc. but also our expectations of what a "Modern" quilt guild should be.  What I'm hoping for is a guild that is supportive of experimental techniques and approaches to design.  Because of my job, I spend a great deal of time at various guilds throughout the country.  I'm looking for something different than the same old business meeting and show and share guild.  Hopefully this will be it.  My dream would be to have a guild that is not a quilting guild but at CREATIVITY guild where artists of all mediums come together.  You could have potters, painters, photographers, quilters, poets etc. etc. all come together.  The challenges presented to the group would be interesting as each artist would interpret the same theme and perhaps partner with another artist in a completely different media.........hmmmmm

I'm very excited as I'm packing today to teach at the Simcoe County Quilters Guild Retreat this weekend.  This will be my third time teaching at their retreat so it will be fun to catch up with past students and friends.  I'll be teaching the Log Cabin Chevron workshop and the Quilt Marking Mysteries workshop.  Two of my favourites!  The retreat is held at the Kempenfelt Conference Centre near Barrie where all of the Georgian College students who are in the culinary and hotel management studies work as part of their curriculum.  Needless to say, the food and services are fantastic!

Last night I made one of my favourite meals, Thai Mango Salad.  It is absolutely delicious!  The recipe will feed 6 people.

THAI MANGO SALAD

5 cups cooked rice vermicelli noodles.
2 cups napa cabbage cut into thin strips about 2" long
1 red pepper cut into fine julienne strips
1 yellow pepper cut as above
1 large carrot cut as above
2 ripe mangos cut into thin slices
3 green onions cut diagonally
3 lime leaves thinly sliced or lime zest
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
2 tbsp. lemongrass chopped very fine
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup roasted chopped peanuts
lemon juice

DRESSING

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 limes, juice of 2 and zest of 1
1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup peanut oil

In a food processor, combine all of the salad dressing ingredients and process until smooth.  Toss together with the salad ingredients in a large bowl.  Just before serving, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with peanuts.










No comments:

Post a Comment