Friday, May 6, 2011

Working Away in the Studio

Things are pretty quiet here on the home front.  I've been working away in the studio finishing up projects that are due in June.  One is a two colour challenge that I can't show you because some of the other participants might just see the picture before the big reveal.  We can't have that!
The quilt I started in Dwayne Wanner's workshop has been quilted so the binding will go on today.  Dwayne is hoping to write a book so wants to photograph the quilts from his workshop on June 1st.  Nothing like a deadline to make you work on a project!!!
As proof that I've been working hard..........
As you can see, my machine was full of machine quilting fluff.  My trusty Juki TL-98Q had finished quilting my two-colour challenge and needed a good cleaning.
In this photo, I've cleaned the machine and oiled everything so I'm ready to start quilting the next quilt.
My Juki is my main machine that I use both for piecing and machine quilting.  It is permanently set into my sewing desk in the studio and never taken to workshops etc.  Because it is a semi-industrial machine it sews 1500 stitches a minute as opposed to the standard 700-800 on a regular domestic machine.  That means I can sew very quickly and the free-motion quilting is much easier.  It also has a large bed area so quilts fit into the machine easier.
These are the tools I use to clean my machine out and oil it.
The brush has long, soft bristles so it can reach in and around the parts in the machine.  The short bristle brushes that come standard with most machines really don't work as well.
The oil has a long spout that retracts so I can put the "hose" right into the holes for oil instead of dripping it in.  Even machines that are "self-oiling" need some oil when quilting because the machines are used at high speeds for long periods of time.
Next is the canned air.  There's lots of controversy out there as to whether or not this is a good idea.  Since my sewing machine mechanic uses it, so do I.

Remember to change your regular steel sewing machine needles after 8 hours of sewing.  Doing that will extend the life of your sewing machine's motor.  Needles are much less expensive than machines!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment