Saturday, July 9, 2011

Back from Elora

As the title says, I'm back from teaching my 5 day workshop entitled "Designing Art Quilts the Easier Way".  This was my fourth year back teaching for the Wellington County Museum's Summer Art Workshops.
My wonderful students!

We started Monday morning at 9 talking about the design elements and principles.  It was important for everyone to understand all of the ingredients necessary to make a vibrant, visually interesting quilt before we began the process of designing.
One of the things I asked the students to do is to find an example of Balance and Composition in the pictures in the magazines they brought with them.  Each of the students had to find photos in the magazines that represented:
Symmetrical - Asymmetrical - Nearly Symmetrical - Radial - Vertical - Horizontal - Circular - Diagonal - Triangle - Grid - Framed
The next time you're cracking open that new issue of Martha Stewart Living you might like to try this.  It was a valuable exercise to see past the subject matter on the page and focus on the design itself.
Next we did colour studies with their inspiration photos.  Lots of fabric was being pulled out and much of it shared among the students.  What a great bonding exercise!  Sorry the photos are on theirs sides but you get the idea, I'm sure.


Next we went on to designing the background space for the pieced backgrounds then the foreground with the compositions we had selected.  I'm sure you'll agree that all of the students are well on their way to making some fabulous, original art quilts.  I was sooooooooo proud of all of the students for their enthusiasm and willingness to just try new things.  What a great week!










My photos of the other quilts didn't turn out but you can see how well everyone did by these examples.  
Hubby came with me this year and took the Digital Photography workshop while I was teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment