Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Picking a New Palette

Although I haven't quite finished the two quilts I'm working on at the moment, I'm in the process of organizing my fabrics for my next quilt.  Having it sitting and waiting for me to start gives me the momentum to finish up the projects I'm working on.  That pile of fabric is my carrot on a stick!
I'm not going to share the design with you, but I thought you might like to see the inspiration photo and the fabrics selected from that.  These fabrics are all batiks from my stash.  I need to add a couple more medium dark yellow-greens but otherwise I'm happy with the assortment.
When choosing fabrics for a quilt I like to think of the various fabrics as brush strokes in a painting.  In order to create depth in a quilt, it is necessary to have a minimum of 7 different values.  These values don't necessarily have to be in every colour you've chosen but as long as you have that minimum covered in the entire palette you can give your quilt foreground, middle ground and background......depth.
The photo is a painting entitled "Lumiere a la Riviere St-Maurice" by one of my favourite artists, Normand Boisvert.  Normand Boisvert is a French Canadian painter living in Quebec who is known for his landscape paintings.  The colours aren't showing well in the photo of this painting but the palette photo is better for colour.  The trees in the painting are all done in shades of teal.



No comments:

Post a Comment