Monday, August 29, 2011

Quilt of Valour

The quilt that I was working on with the residents of my Mom's nursing home is finally complete.  It took almost a year but I couldn't get in and work with them on a regular basis with my crazy teaching schedule.
I'm very proud of the work that they did.  One of the blocks in the quilt was sewn by a woman who is legally blind.
This quilt will be sent to Quilts of Valour Canada for distribution to a wounded Canadian soldier.
The quilt is a string quilt where different width strips were sewn directly onto phone book pages that were cut a little larger than the finished blocks.  The quilters attached strips starting in the centre of the block until the paper was covered.  We then trimmed the block to size and ripped off the paper.  Ripping off the paper was a great job for some of the residents that weren't able to use the sewing machines.  I then took the blocks home to sew the top together.  Karen Cole of QuiltingLeah did the machine quilting.
Here are some photos of the completed quilt and label.



No comments:

Post a Comment