Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cooking Revelation!!

Hubby's away on a photography course so I've had the house to myself for a few days.  Lots of quilting and COOKING going on.  I don't usually cook when Hubby's away but I have found a new cookbook and show that is truly changed my way of cooking.
There's a show with Jamie Oliver on the Food Network called "Meals in Minutes" and the whole premise is that you can cook an entire meal (main, vegetable, beverage, salad and dessert) in 30 minutes.  It's fresh, healthy and delicious.  The food I've tried so far has been restaurant quality.  I haven't quite got it all done in 30 minutes yet but usually I'm done at the 45 minute mark.  My knife skills aren't quite up to Jamie's and I keep having to reread the book.  I just need someone to stand there and read the book to me.
Did you know that you don't have to peel a butternut squash or that you can eat radish leaves?  Neither did I and I've been into cooking for a long time!
Here's the book and a peek inside:

The book is written with minute to minute instructions so everything gets  done at the same time.  Anyone who does a lot of cooking can tell you that that's the trickiest part.......getting it all on the table at the same time.
Last night I made the green curry dinner done with chicken thighs.  I can honestly say it's the best chicken I've ever eaten.  My daughter joined me for dinner too and loved the meal.  DD is gluten and lactose intolerant and there are many meals that are fine for her to eat.
Here are some photos of last night's meal.
Green curry chicken and carrots (not green beans as the book calls for)

Kimchee salad
The food is wonderful and done in a very small period of time............HOWEVER......this is what your kitchen looks like when you're done.

I didn't have the heart to take a picture of the stove.......oh, my!  Thank goodness for dishwashers!

1 comment:

  1. Hee Hee..
    You cook like I do Heather!!!!
    The cook book looks wonderful...I am tempted to get it...
    xoox
    ((((hugs))))
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete