Saturday, November 12, 2011

Scrap Management

I've just finished this top for a class I'm teaching at Quilts and Calicos in Exeter, ON February 18 & 19.  We're offering the two days to choose from.  Students can sign up for either day but it is only a one day workshop.
I call this quilt Jester's Diamond.  This is another quilt in my "60 Degree Quilts" series.
Peeking around the edges is another 60 degree quilt that I'm just sewing the rows together on.  You'll have to wait a little while before I can show you that one!
The Jester's Diamond quilt was fairly quick to make but has lots of lessons to teach.  Matching points on 60 degrees, strip cutting on the angle etc. etc.  Wouldn't this look great in black and white fabrics or batiks?
Here is the pile of scraps generated from cutting this quilt.  There are a few extra scraps because I took an "unscheduled nap" while cutting the setting triangles and had to redo them.  Don't you just hate that?

 Rather than just putting these odd sized bits of fabric back into the cupboard, I cut them into useable sized pieces and put them in boxes.  Here I have cut 1 1/2" squares, 2 1/2" squares and 1 1/2" strips.  The 1 1/2" squares go into my postage stamp quilt box and the rest into boxes under my cutting table.  When the time comes to make a quilt using any of these sizes, I don't have to cut them, I just have to reach under the table for the correct sized box of pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment