Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Making Baby Quilts

Every now and again it comes time to replenish my stash of baby quilts.  I like to make baby quilts in between more complex projects.  Like most quilters, I like to have a few on hand for gifts and I also sometimes give them to guilds that host me who have charity quilts as part of their guild.
The first one is from a pattern by Elizabeth Hartman from the Oh Fransson blog.  You can get the free pattern here.  The pattern is very well written and illustrated.
It was fun to make.  Several months ago I had ordered a sampler set of 4 1/2" strips of some fabrics and never found a use for them so many went into this quilt.  I think they're Kate Spain fabrics but I can't remember now and have thrown out the label.  Anyway......I cut them down to the required 3" widths for this quilt and the remainder went into my 1 1/2" strip bin.
I made the backing as Elizabeth's pattern instructs.  Somehow I still had 10 nine-patch blocks left over but that could be  because I used full strips cut in half rather than fat quarters.  I'd like to make a "girl" version of this quilt so if I again have that many blocks left over I will get a third quilt from the remaining 9-patches.  This is why my projects never end...............


This is the "girl" baby quilt I also made over the weekend.  The pinwheel design I just designed using EQ7.  Luckily I have 3" finished HST Thangles on hand for the pinwheels.  The fabric had been purchased in Michigan when I was at the retreat there last Spring so it was time it was used up!  I used a pale green and white gingham on the backing.

1 comment:

  1. Your pinwheel baby quilt is lovely. Baby quilts are the best to make. I enjoy adding a unique quilt binding to each baby quilt that I make.

    ReplyDelete