Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday's progress

We have had the most beautiful weather here today.  Bright blue skies and above average temperatures (6C) and no snow in the forecast.  Last year we were deep in snow with storms and closures.  Crazy weather but I prefer this year's.  Unfortunately, I'm suffering with the February sniffles........this too shall pass.
Today I finished putting the binding on Rosa's quilt.  I've been volunteering at my Mom's nursing home with string quilting.  As a group, we made a string quilt and donated it to Quilts of Valour.  Rosa took to quilting like a duck to water so I gave her a box of my scraps and this is the result.
I put the borders on, quilted it and put the binding on.  Rosa made the blocks by sewing to a foundation cut from telephone book pages.  I would pin the fabrics and Rosa would sew the blocks.  We were quite the team!  We've been working on this quilt for almost a year.  I'll bring it to her tomorrow and then she can have it on her bed.  The quilting is stippling with King Tut thread #969 in a variegated lime green/yellow combination that tied in the border quite nicely, I think.  I chose to stipple it it reinforce some of the weaker seams and to make it sturdy enough to withstand the industrial washing machines at the nursing home.

Here's a photo of the quilt top I made at the Cherished Pieces Retreat.  The whole thing was pieced at the retreat but I had the Bali Pop fabrics cut ahead of time.  Hubby gave me the Bali Pop for Christmas so this was a nice way to use it. This quilt was fun and easy to make and I had enough ends of the 2 1/2" strips to make a crib quilt.  It's not finished yet........  Hopefully I'll get this quilt quilted this week but I'm working on quilting the Orca Bay Mystery Quilt first.........Wish me luck!

1 comment: