Sunday, August 26, 2012

AQS Show - Grand Rapids, Michigan

It seems that most of the quilters in this area also attended the AQS Show in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
My friend and I went just for two days to see the shows and the merchants mall but didn't sign up for any workshops or lectures.  It's a 4 hour drive from here but a very easy drive.
The DeVos Place Convention Centre where the show was held was a perfect venue for this event.  The quilt shows and merchants mall were all in one enormous room.  The workshop rooms and lecture halls as well as a food court were all in the same building.  Many of the hotels were attached through arial walkways to the facility.  We had great weather but it's nice to know that if it's raining another year, you can get to the workshops without getting your equipment wet.


My friend and I stayed at the Courtyard Mariott Hotel.  It was about a 5-10 minute walk to the convention centre.  You could either walk along the river boardwalk or along the streets.  I can't say enough good about this hotel.  The staff was very helpful, the room was quite comfortable and there was a very inexpensive but good Bistro on the main floor.

We did some real damage to our wallets in the merchant's mall.  There were 150 vendors selling everything from sewing machines to .............anything you can imagine.

Under the same roof were some truly wonderful quilts.  The most unusual was an exhibition of the Tentmakers of Egypt.  These were all needle turned appliqué hangings depicting flowers and birds or geometric designs.  Two men who do this work from Egypt were on hand to demonstrate and talk to the visitors.


This was my favourite quilt.  It's called Santa's Loading Dock by Mary Buvia.  More of Mary's quilts were on display and all of them were exquisite.  AQS has a pattern out for Santa's Loading Dock.  I don't know if I would ever have the time or patience to make it but wow!!!  The quilt was quite large.  At least 5 feet square I would think.

I took many more pictures of the various exhibits but they might need to wait for another post.
Apparently AQS is committed to Grand Rapids for another 4 years.  My friend and I have already made plans to go back next year.  The dates of the show are August 14-17, 2013.  See you there!

My blog has been neglected this summer while we readied our home for sale.  We did sell the house and are now in the process of building a new one.  Can you say "custom studio"?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on selling your (incredibly gorgeous)house. But, building a new one? Not on the West Coast??? I didn't do a good enough selling job when you were here.
    Best of luck on your new adventure.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete