Monday, September 10, 2012

3 Days With Jane Sassaman

I just spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday taking 2 workshops with Jane Sassaman near Waterloo.

Jane and I had met in Winnipeg several years ago while teaching at Quilt Canada there.  Since then, I have always wanted to take her workshops so when the opportunity presented itself, I took it!
The workshops were put on by award winning quilter, Marilyn Farquhar.  Marilyn has a lovely home with a large quilting studio in her basement that comfortably held 20 students.  As an added bonus, lunch was included in the workshop fee.  All the lunches were delicious!
Jane's newest book was available for purchase as well as some of her patterns and fabrics.
The two day workshop "Abstracting from Nature" had us looking at flowers and stylizing them to put into a free form quilt.  Jane taught us to make parts then arrange them into a pleasing arrangement rather than draw a pattern first.  What was very interesting to me was her use of interfacing in her quilting to back all of the fabric including the backgrounds.  We didn't have our sewing machines for the workshop as it was a design workshop, but I'm interested to see how this system can be used in my work.

The one day workshop on Sunday was "Pattern Play".  I would recommend this workshop to anyone.  We drew a motif and then manipulated it into different designs by reversing, connecting and overlapping the design.  Next we cut our motifs out of paper and played with different arrangements. A great device for machine quilters!
One of my manipulated designs in paper.
Instead of driving back and forth to Waterloo I opted to stay in Waterloo at a wonderful new Bed and Breakfast called Colonial Creekside.  There are three suites in this bed and breakfast with balcony sitting areas, ensuite bath and continental breakfast included.  I have to say that this is one of the nicest bed and breakfasts I have stayed in and will certainly be back.  The indoor pool is fantastic!


My breakfast basket on Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment