Thursday, November 1, 2012

Back from Fort McMurray

What a great visit I had with the quilters of Fort McMurray, Alberta at Suzy Q's Quilt Shop.  Those quilters are such busy people that I'm always amazed that they manage to squeeze quilting into their lives.
I took the flight from Toronto to Fort Mac that starts in St. John's, NL.  The Newfoundlanders often work 2 weeks in Fort Mac - 14 days of 12 hour shifts - then they commute back home for 2 weeks.  What a life!
The day before I left was a sunny 23C and when I arrived it was -9C with lots of snow.
Here's a picture of Sue's deck.  It snowed the entire time I was there.  I was smart enough to bring my ski jacket but not quite smart enough to bring boots.......
It was such a pleasure to have some repeat students in my workshops from previous years.
Here they are hard at work in Sunday's  Double Diamond workshop.  There's a bit of a learning curve with this quilt.  I'm very proud of all of the students as they conquered this technique and made some beautiful blocks.
On Friday night I shared the Tips and Tricks for Quilters lecture.   On Saturday we did the Antique Spider Web quilt workshop and on Saturday night we did the No Fail Binding workshop.

Binding is the number one error I see on quilts.  The way the quilt is bound will effect not only the look  of the quilt,  but how straight it hangs and the lifespan of the quilt.  Take a class!!!  There's a lot more to it than just slapping on the binding.

The flight home was an interesting one.  I left Fort Mac with snow and wind only to hit Ontario with the Hurricane Sandy making turbulence for a very bumpy ride.  I got home a couple of hours later than scheduled but I was just happy to make it there.  My luggage was soaked through with all of the pouring rain.  The quilts were fine and just needed to dry out a bit.  Another good reason to wash your fabrics before making the quilt.

Hubby and I went up to the new house today.  It was so exciting to see the walls and roof trusses on.
We had a tree fall down in the storm.  Can you see it?  It missed the house, the builders trailer and other trees.  Talk about luck!!
I've been too busy to work much on the Angel Quilt so I won't bother with a picture this week.
Next week I'm visiting with two groups of quilters.  Packing, packing and more packing!

1 comment:

  1. If a tree misses your teepee in the forest, that's a good omen.

    ReplyDelete