Sunday, March 17, 2013

Catching Up!

We are feeling quite a bit more settled here in the new house now.  I still feel like I'm on vacation and will have to go home soon though.
My new studio is a treat to work in.  There is room for everything and it is (for now) organized.  Having all of my show quilts done and in the exhibit, I've been able to chip away at some UFO's this week.
I've been playing with the possibilities using the EZ Dresden Plate Ruler.  This is my first, very simple quilt using the ruler.

The fabrics are shot cottons. Some are Oakshott and some are Kaffe Fassett.  Unfortunately, the photo doesn't do the fabric justice.  As you can see, I used the ruler as a template to cut the triangle shapes.  I could cut many fabrics at once by layering the strips of fabric that I cut to the height of the ruler.  The quilt is quilted with Superior's King Tut thread in a variegated navy through turquoise palette.  The back is a turquoise flannel.

The BIG NEWS this week is that I finally, finally, finished the angel quilt.  I was worried about machine quilting this one.  With fingers crossed, I began free motion quilting the quilt with my trusty Juki machine using Superior's Masterpiece thread.  The background is echo quilted at 1/4" intervals.

The quilt was finished a half hour before I had to leave to present my Trunk Show lecture to the Brant Heritage Quilters in St. George, ON.  They were the first to see the completed quilt.  I've decided to name with quilt "Faith".  You may remember from previous posts that this quilt was made using a photo that my husband took of a statue in California last year.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

"Winter" Challenge

Below is a photo of the results of the "Winter" theme 12 " square challenge with my bee in Nova Scotia.  This time it was my turn to come up with the challenge.  I sent everyone a piece of white fabric with metallic silver that kind of looked like frost and some snowflake buttons.  They were to produce a piece using the fabric somewhere (back or front) on the quilt and use at least one of the snowflake buttons.  Here are the results.......
I think you'll agree that everyone outdid themselves this time!  Mine is the top centre one with the machine embroidered trees.  Usually, I join the group via Skype for the reveals but that was moving day so I missed it.Our next challenge is "Flowers".  Donna chose that theme for us.  

Saturday, March 2, 2013

All Moved In........

The most important room is set up.........the studio!  Hubby took this shot with his wide angle lens to get most of the room in the shot.  The sewing room furniture was made by Eddycrest Sewing Furniture by Adam Eddy in Woodstock.  Adam and his Dad carried the two sewing tables and cutting table down the stairs and into the studio.  They set it all up including putting the sewing machines into the cabinets. I had Adam cut a hole into the top of the cabinet to fit both machines instead of his usual method of having a plexiglass top.  I don't intend to get another brand of sewing machine so I think I'm fairly safe.
There is so much storage in these cabinets that I actually have empty drawers.  That probably won't last long but I'm very impressed!
I love the pull out shelves for the cutting surface and ironing pad.  Each drawer comes with removable dividers too.   In the photo above you can see the extension between the two tables so I have lots of surface for machine quilting.

As for the rest of the house, I'll post some more pictures later.  We are unpacked and settled in.
I spent last Monday with the quilters here who meet every Monday at the clubhouse.  They were very welcoming so I look forward to quilting with them often.  They are making charity quilts too so I'm very excited about participating in that.