Friday, April 12, 2013

Peterborough and Michigan Retreat

As usual, I'm behind on my blog posts.
My projects all seem to be nearing completion but not ready to share.  In other words, I have a great deal of machine quilting to do!
Last week I enjoyed my visit with the Kawartha Quilters in Peterborough.  Thanks so much for making me so very welcome.  Ruth and Terry allowed me to stay on their lovely farm just outside of Peterborough.  I fell in love with their black lab named Bear and their donkey (so cute!) named Jack.
The Peterborough gang had me do my trunk show lecture and also the Colour for Quilters workshop.
Here they are cutting and pasting swatches of fabric to complete their colour exercises.
I drove home after the workshop on the Thursday getting in quite late that night.  Crossing over the top of Toronto is always a challenge.  Luckily, Ruth had packed me a huge lunch so I ate the leftovers while "parked" on the highway.
Friday was our annual retreat at Memories Manor in St. Clair Michigan.  This was my third year going to this retreat.  I'm always impressed with their hospitality there.  Each meal the dishes and table decorations change.  At the end of the retreat, each person get a package of postcards that contain the recipes, compete with pictures of the meals we've had.  What a thoughtful idea.

You can see that we each had a table and Ott Lite as well as a big rolling chair.  At this retreat, we shared our room with some scrapbooking ladies.  They were doing some beautiful pages and we really enjoyed getting to know them.

I sent this quilt to my friend and fellow quilt artist, Gail Hunt a couple of weeks ago.  Little did I know at the time that she was going through some very difficult times.  Fate took a hand and she received the quilt when she most needed it.  Gail is a fan of red and purple so I knew as soon as I'd put the binding on that this quilt was hers.  It seems strange to give the gift of a quilt to a fellow quiltmaker but you can be sure that it will be appreciated and cared for.
For some reason the challenge quilts didn't show up when I made the post earlier.  It shows just fine on my computer but a number of people have told me that they just have a blank space show up.  Here's a photo of my "Winter" challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Your red and purple quilt is just fantastic, and all the better to know that it arrived when someone needed a lift.

    ReplyDelete