Monday, February 1, 2016

Winter Quilting

Hello Quilters!
The beginning of February is here!  We have been enjoying a remarkably mild winter this year so it hardly feels like winter at all.  Good news for those who decided to stay home this winter with the U.S. dollar being so high.

I've been chipping away at many projects here in the studio.  Being retired has caused me to lose all discipline and so I work on 20 things at once and don't finish much.  I'm just doing some finishing up of old projects and playing with baby quilts and other fun stuff.  So much for serious work!!!

Since my Juki was in the shop, I took the opportunity to work for a couple of days on my Singer 99K sewing machine.  This is the sewing machine that my parents bought for me when I was 10 years old.  They probably never dreamed what a remarkable effect it would have on my life at the time.  Who buys a sewing machine for a 10 year old???  Especially when money was very tight in my family growing up.
The Singer normally sits in a box base that has a snap on cover but I put it into my sewing desk for those few days.  It was such fun to hear her humming along as I worked on a scrap quilt.  All I had to do was oil the moving parts and away she went.  I'd forgotten what perfect stitches it makes.

The is the Fancy Fox quilt I made from a pattern by Elizabeth Hartman.  The pattern is very well written with great illustrations.  The pattern for the baby quilt finishes at 34" x 46" so I changed the borders to make the quilt a little bigger.  The border stripe was living in my stash.  Can you believe how perfect it is for this quilt????  Now that my Juki is back from the shop, I hope to get this quilted today.
Also living in my stash was the perfect backing with trees and foxes.  I am chipping away at reducing the stash while making these fun projects.

Also from Elizabeth Hartman is my Preppy the Whale Quilt.  The background is Kona Snow and the whales are various pieces of fabric from my stash.  Using up the stash............  I love the light blue quilting thread in the wave pattern on the quilt.  Simple but effective.


My friend and I attended the Cherished Pieces Quilt Retreat at the Elmhurst Inn in Ingersoll last week.  What a great time we all had.  Cynthia knows how to put on a great retreat and the Inn served us wonderful food and treats during our stay.  The hotel rooms are beautiful too!

I think I mentioned in my last post that I was crazy enough to participate in the 365 Day Quilt Challenge.  Each day a different quilt block pattern is in my inbox.  At the end of the year you have 365 quilt blocks to sew into this quilt.

 Here is my one month's worth of blocks that will go into the inner border around the central medallion.
These blocks are 3" finished.  Today's block had 36 pieces of fabric in it.  Crazy!!!

"Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the doorbell." Anon

1 comment:

  1. Love the story about your sewing machine at age 10 - and you still have it! I got one at 13 but it's long gone. We found 6 fabric shops in Malaga and I plan to check them out thoroughly one day. They look like mainly upholstery & bridal stuff. More to come.mKeep working on that stash.

    ReplyDelete